Monday, November 1, 2010

Did I Miss Something?

OK, I admit it.  I'm not a big holiday person, especially when it comes to Halloween.  I don't have big buckets of decorations for every holiday and I don't make themed meals.

This year, being in a state of perpetual maternal fogginess, I nearly missed Halloween.  Yup, I'm pretty lame.

It wasn't until the Wednesday before Halloween that I realized I should probably pull some costumes together seeing as we had a costume party coming up, um, that night.

Luckily, my kids were easy this year.

Abby decided to be a cowgirl.  Ok, really I declared that after spending a bunch of money to put together a cowgirl costume for a talent contest this summer, that I was done spending money on costumes for her, and that the cowgirl costume was doing double duty.

Ashlynn wanted to be a bride.  Lucky for her (and for me!) she dressed up as an angel last year.  Because Abby mysteriously lost her angel costume, (don't ask...) and a friends' borrowed white dress was way too long, Ashlynn wore the same dress as last year, (which yes, caused some weeping and wailing) with the halo being remade as a veil.

And Max?  He was easy.  A friend called and asked if I wanted to borrow a lion costume.  She didn't have to ask me twice.  The best part about it?  Max loved it, and spent days running around the house growling.  The girls taught him to say "trick or treat" (which came out sounding something like "ta ta") and then he would roar like a lion.  It was good for lots of laughs.

Finally, the blessed Saturday rolled around.  (Yes, we live in Utah, where the whole Saturday/Sunday trick-or-treating thing really isn't even an issue...) Trying to redeem myself, (or at least redeem myself for the lame-o costumes,) I tried to sit everyone down for a picture before they left. 

Except that my camera wasn't charged.

And the kids' camera was no where to be found.

"Mom," Abby sighed in frustration, "Can't you just use your phone?"

So without further build-up, I bring you the greatest Halloween photos ever.  You have my permission to be jealous.  Of the brilliant costumes, the stellarcamera-phone photography, the fabulous designer yellow paint in my entryway, everything.

Get all three kids looking at the camera at once?  Yeah, not a chance.

In fact, it only took 2 shots for Max to be done with the camera all together.  (Although secretly, I really like this photo, because it reminds me of what life is really like around here!)

So, we'll settle for pictures of the girls, who actually smile at the camera when asked.

And we'll bribe Max with one of his ubiquitous balls to get him to sit still for 2.3 seconds.

So after the photo shoot, I sent them out in the pouring rain, (no joke!) for trick-or-treating.  Less than 45 minutes later, I set out in the minivan to rescue the girls and my husband, all soaking wet and a bit cranky.  They didn't care that their candy haul was meager, at best.  They wanted warm clothes and their beds.  Can't say I blame them.

Max, however, was a different story.  He was having the time of his life running arond the neighborhood at night, having people tell him how cute he is, and then give him candy.  Add to that the allure of rolling in puddles like a puppy, and you have an almost 2-year-old's version of paradise.

Max playing in the rain gutter spout before we dragged him inside, literally kicking and screaming.

So there you have it.  Halloween, Smith family style.  The only thing missing is the large amounts of mini chocolate candy bars.  I may have to hit the Halloween clearance at the grocery store tomorrow. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Max makes a handsome little lion, rawr! He's such a doll, I could eat him up!!! :)

    Hope you're doing well, wondering about you these days, have fallen off the blog reading wagon (so busy, Oct has so many birthdays & family events, it makes my mind reel).

    PS: Email me your mailing address, I'd like to send you a little something in the mail. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails