Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Unexpected Blessings

A year ago yesterday, I sat on my toilet seat early on a Sunday morning, staring incredulously at a positive pregnancy test. 

To say it was unplanned would be a major understatement. 

It took two years, a miscarriage, and lots of expensive and humiliating fertility drugs and treatments for me to get and stay pregnant with Max.

I wasn't supposed to be able to get pregnant.  My cycles were ridiculously out of whack, and we were under an incredible amount of stress preparing for Max's second major skull surgery in a year.  (More on that tomorrow when I do another "One year ago" post.  Sorry.  I'm feeling nostalgic.  Or something.)

So I sat there.  And stared.  And stared some more.

Then I showed the test to my husband, who claimed that because the second line was so faint, that it wasn't possible for it to be accurate.

That afternoon Tom was at Walgreens, despite the fact that it was a Sunday, buying another pregnancy test.  That one was more positive than the first.

I spent weeks saying some version of "Are you kidding me?  Now?  Seriously?"  I sat in the hospital with my swollen post-op little boy marveling at the wicked irony of the timing of it all.

It took me months to adapt to the idea of another baby.

But now.  I am completely, utterly,

In love with this little boy.


Can't imagine what we'd do without him.


And I dare you to watch this video without laughing.  Go ahead and try!  (And yes that is me in the background sounding like a complete fool.  But when you get a baby giggling, it's worth it!)

5 comments:

  1. Stacie, I have scanned through your recent blog posts are you are so funny! I totally get you and have so many of the same mom-thoughts! You are a great writer and have loved reading about your crazy life! I think you are doing a great job recording all of the crazy little moments. Your kids are adorable and you are a fabulous mom! So glad to have reconnected with you after many years and be inspired by yet another great mom!
    Keep up the great work and keep inspiring me!
    Heather Hardy Woolley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baby giggles--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, he is cute!!

    And I didn't know it was so hard for you to get pregnant with Max! Crazy! I guess you've got a little miracle on your hands. :D

    And I thought of you when I was writing up my post this morning, knowing you were the only one out there who would truly get where I was coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, you are so cool. And we have got to get these babies together soon and watch 'em giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pregnancy tests can be scary, but what a cool payoff after those months passed. Yay for babies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails