Monday, April 4, 2011

Because I'm the grown up, that's why! (And the world's best chocolate chip cookies)

When I was a kid, I was always reluctant to go to bed because I was convinced that the minute I fell asleep, my parents brought out all the good movies, all the yummy treats they wouldn't share with us, and generally had a party.  They assured me life after bedtime was boring and they did nothing fun.  I, of course, stopped believing them when I would routinely smell popcorn shortly after bedtime.

Last night, after a fantastic day of conference watching, we put everyone to bed on the early side and commenced being boring and having no fun. 

The only problem was, we started making cookie dough and turned on the movie without verifying that my girls were actually asleep.  When they both came down to protest this epic unfairness, it was met with that most grown-up and mature of answers: "Because we're the grown-ups, that's why."  (Really it might have been because we didn't want to share the best chocolate chip cookies in the whole world.)


But, because I'm your friend and because you love me, I'm going to share the recipe for the best chocolate chip cookies in the whole world.  Trust me on this one.  They're amazing. They make an appearance at our house around once a week. I've searched for years, and this is the one.  Throw away your Neiman-Marcus $400 cookies, and your Mrs. Fields cookies. You'll never need another recipe again.  You're welcome.  And if you make them, you have to promise to come back and tell me how much you love them.

2 eggs
1 C shortening (Yes, I know.  Shortening.  But don't sub it out for butter, just trust me on this one.)
1/2 C White sugar
1 C Brown sugar
1 tsp (or more) Vanilla (Don't even think about using the cheap imitation vanilla.  Seriously.)

Cream above ingredients.  The secret to these cookies is to make sure you really cream them well- just let your mixture run for a few minutes until it's almost white and fluffy.  Then add:

3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 salt
2 1/4-2 1/2 C flour
1-2 C chocolate chips  (I prefer one cup, hubby prefers two)

Mix em up really good and bake in a 375 degree oven for 9 minutes.

Oh, and double the batch.  Because you'll eat them all the first night.

Like I said, you're welcome.

Anyone else have cookie recipes to share?  Someday, I night need to make some cookies that aren't chocolate chip.

6 comments:

  1. I am convinced the good-ness of a chocolate chip cookie is NOT shortening verses butter, it's the ratio of white to brown sugar. If there is MORE brown than white, then you're good to go. I do indeed make mine with butter not shortening because I think it keeps them softer longer. Really, shortening? Really???

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Or more" is right for the vanilla! Whenever I see "1 tsp vanilla" I know that is code for "1 tbsp vanilla." Good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever watch "Growing Pains"? There was an episode where the youngest girl complains about the fun the rest of the family has when she has to go to bed before everyone else, and then it shows what her idea of it is, with them playing with her toys and just doing things she would do if she could stay up. That's what this reminded me of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I'm a chocolate addict and stopping by here today was not by chance! Glad I did, miss you, am trying to keep up with everyone & everything (you know how it goes).

    Will be trying this recipe, I trust you on it (even with shortening in it!).

    x
    Terresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Although, I must confess, I rarely get to the point where I actually -bake- the cookies. Usually, I start eating the cookie dough, and then, after what seems like only 2 or 3 bites, I look down into the nearly-empty bowl of dough!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But *isn't* that why we put the kids to bed? Whenever Buddy asks me why, I always remind him of my 30+ hour labor, point to where my c-section scars are, and ask him if he has any questions.

    Bless his heart -- he just rolls his eyes at me. LOVE that kid!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails