Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This post has a happy ending

It almost didn't.

I had a routine check up with an ob/gyn yesterday.  While its not exactly normal to see a homebirth midwife and an ob/gyn at the same time, ever since my last miscarriage at thirteen weeks, I've needed to know that my pregnancies were viable.  

The ob/gyn who did my last D&C is amazingly respectful, supportive and willing to help.  After the surgery, he told my husband and me that he would help us in any way he could. He suggested when we got pregnant again that we see him for the first 12 weeks, have an early ultrasound to verify that everything was progressing normally, and then he would be happy to discharge us to the care of our midwife.   

This time around, we opted to do the same thing.  We saw him at eight weeks, had a quick (less than a minute) ultrasound showing a healthy heartbeat, and scheduled one more appointment at twelve weeks.  

Yesterday, when I went in, I was expecting to be in and out.  When the doctor came in, he offered to do another quick ultrasound.  Once on the table, I was concerned when an image didn't immediately come up on the screen.  

Several times, he turned on the sound, trying to hear a heartbeat.  There was nothing.

He searched for a few minutes, and still couldn't find anything.  I made a lame joke about the baby playing hide and seek, and he didn't answer.  My heart caught in my throat.  

"I'm so sorry," he said, "but I can't find anything.  There's very little fluid, and I can't find a heartbeat."  He pointed to an image on the screen, still searching with the ultrasound.  "I'm sorry. But let's do a quick check with the vaginal ultrasound to be sure."

He left me in the room with one of those lovely paper "sheets" to cover myself.  In the two minutes that it took me to get undressed and situated, I battled a myriad of crazy emotions.  First and foremost, I was numb.  I couldn't believe that this was happening again.  My sister just went through this exact same situation three weeks ago at her twelve-week visit, and I was incredulous that both of us were going through the same thing.  I clicked into survival mode, immediately planning the lesson cancellations, and how I would manage to have a D&C when my husband was scheduled to leave for Germany today for a business trip.   

The doctor came back in, and started the vaginal ultrasound.  Immediately, a crystal-clear image popped up and once again, the doctor said, "I'm sorry," but this time he followed it with "Its right there."

"What's right there?" I stuttered.

He turned on the sound, and there it was.  The blissful sound of a baby's heartbeat.

The doctor apologized up and down.  He said he didn't know what had just happened, and said it was the worst ultrasound imaging he had ever seen.  The baby was measuring perfect, and the image was so clear that we could see the spine, two arms and two legs moving around, the skull, the brain, and the fluttering heartbeat.  

I've struggled ever since I found our we were expecting again.  I don't think I was emotionally ready to be pregnant again, and the reality of this pregnancy has been tempered and colored with Max's surgery and hospitalizations.  I've felt horribly guilty because I haven't felt the excitement and anticipation that I've felt every other time I've been pregnant.  

It wasn't until I was faced with the idea of losing the baby that I realized how much I really do want this little person to join our family.  And while things have been complicated and difficult these first few weeks, I now know that I wouldn't go back and undo it, even if I could.  The timing definitely isn't what we would have chosen, but this little person is obviously on their way at this time for a reason.  And I can't wait to meet him or her and have them join our crazy little family. 

12 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so glad he/she is staying around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! And look at that cute baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief! We had a similar thing happen when I was pregnant with #4. I found out I was pregnant when my baby was just 6 months old and was shocked because the b.c. hadn't worked. I wasn't sure I wanted another one and when I started to bleed, I thought for sure I'd miscarry. With all the feelings that came out, I realized that I did really want that baby even though it was so soon. I'm glad that your story had a happy ending, and you'll be in my prayers that it continues that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad everything is okay!

    I had a friend who miscarried at work, in the bathroom. She didn't even know she was pregnant and they'd been trying for a while.

    When she finally got pregnant again, she couldn't enjoy it because she kept thinking she'd lose this one too, even though she didn't. SO your concern is perfectly reasonable.

    I'm still sad I won't get to see you at the CBCB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a ride! I'm glad everything's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly, a huge WHEW. A huge sigh and ahhhh, OK.

    Then, this: ***I HATE ultrasounds!!!*** I don't like them, think they are (mostly) lame and cause way too much trauma & heartache. Although I begged my midwife for an u/s every single time I went in to see her back when I was pregnant. Especially with the twins. i wanted to see them moving on the screen, somehow be comforted.

    So glad you're baby is well. Stay well, yourself, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gasp. I'm so glad everything is okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't even tell you how glad I am things are okay...my heart stopped for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm so glad everything is okay! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for finding me and taking the time to comment. So I decided to stalk you back. WOW.. what a heart stopping moment for you. Since we are waiting to get one of our own I can't imagine what you were thinking at that moment. I am going to go stalk some more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails